By default SPSS uses local configuration with English and that is why Hebrew is shown as Gibrish or square marks.
It can be fixed as follow:
1. Open SPSS > Go to Edit > options > Charachters> check that choise 1 is set ( do not mark “Use non- unicode “).
2. Check that Reginal settings set to Hebrew\Israel and Non-unicode set to “Hebrew”.
3.Open new sheet of SPSS
4. Open new syntax
5. Run the following command > show local.
6. You should get a small table with language settings set to > EN.windows….Number
7. Go back to the syntax and Run the following command > set local=hebrew
8. Run the following command > show local.
9. You should get a small table with language settings set to > Heb.windows….Number