Using windows XP and windows 7,you can hide your computer from the network folder so that the master browser will not index your computer as a known computer on the network. This procedure makes it hard for people to search your computer in the network, but if someone knows your IP address or netbios name, he can reach you by clicking the known ‘\\computername’ syntax.
In order to hide your computers follow this:
1. Login to your computer with administrator rights.
2. Open command prompt (Start < run < CMD).
3. In command prompt type : Net config server /hidden:yes
4. Press enter.
5. Type : Net Config Server
6. Press enter
7. See that your PC marked on ‘server hidden’
8. To unhide open command prompt again and type : Net config server /hidden:no