Deploy windows and office with MDT 2010 is the quickest, easiest and protected way to deploy automated install of windows 7 or windows 8 workstations with office 2003, office 2007 or office 2010 applications for entire organization.
Microsoft Deployment toolkit is a program that can be install on windows workstation or server. During writing this article the updated version is Microsoft Deployment toolkit 2010 update 1. In order to deploy windows and office with MDT 2010 there are some prerequisites we should install first to allow clean and fast working with Microsoft Deployment toolkit:
- .Net framework version 2.0 service pack 2 or older (if installing Microsoft Deployment toolkit on server this is a server role needed to be add to server).
- Windows automated installation for windows 7.
- Windows 7 or windows 8 operation system files (with available MAK or KMS serial numbers for activation).
- Office 2003 or office 2007 or office 2010 files (again with appropriate serial key).
Be sure to have a spare logical or physical drive to work in for that matter.
We’ll split the procedure to few sub procedures to make life easier.
Prepare MDT 2010 installation files and prerequisites:
- Install software below from section 1-4.
- Create on spare drive with approximately 50GB free the following folders:Windows OS, Office Application.
- Copy the windows 7 or windows 8 files to “Windows OS” folder.
- Copy the office application files to “Office Application” folder.
- Open the “Deployment workbench” application < right click “deployment shares” and choose “new deployment share”.
- Name the share, fill in the description, mark the “ask if an image should be captured” and walk through the end of process.
- Check the share availability by clicking the “Start” < run < \\ServerName\Sharename
- Under “deployment shares” < open the Deployment share name you created.
Create operation system files
- Right click “operating systems” < choose the “import operation system” option.
- Choose “full set of source files”.
- Browse to the windows source folder contains the source files you prepared on section 3.
- Select the “move the files to deployment share to make the process faster.
- Finish the process < check on the Windows OS folder to see that all files transferred.
Create application files
- Right click “operating systems” < choose the “applications” option.
- Choose “new application”.
- Fill in publisher, application name and version
- Browse to the Office Application folder contains the source files you prepared on section 4.
- Set the startup command file to “setup.exe”.
- Finish the process < check on the Office Application folder to see that all files transferred.
Create task sequence
- Right click “task sequence” < choose the “new task sequence” option.
- Fill in the task sequence ID, name and comments if you have.
- Leave the template as standard.
- Select the OS < fill in the KMS license key < set admin password for automated task< finish the process.
Update deployment share
- Go to ” deployment share name” you created < right click and choose ” update deployment share”
- Finish the process while make sure all WIM and ISO files created under the spare logical or physical drive \ deployment share name you created.
- Burn the ISO file (bootable) to CD and use it to start stations with automated windows and office install on the network.
nstallation for workstations without network
For those computers excluded from network or have no network card or network port available you should create a separate media which will be larger than the network boot media since it contains all windows and office installations inside.
To deploy windows and office with MDT 2010 to computers with no network access:
- Create a folder under the logical drive (for ex: E:).
- Open the “Deployment workbench” application < right click “deployment shares” and choose “advanced configurations” < right click “Media” < choose “new Media” < name it “WinLocal”
- On “media Path” browse to folder you created on section 1 <finish the process.
- Right click the “WinLocal” < click “Update media content” < the process will copy all media content to local “media” folder on logical drive and create a ISO file that can be burned and use for workstations without network.
You can always change configuration for task sequence, applications and operation systems by right click the item < choose “properties” and change running platform, enable and disable task and edit XML configuration depending on the item.