MDT 2012 network error during boot is a phenomena when trying to boot a computer using the MDT 2012 ISO file created, the network driver for than machine can not be loaded due to the fact that the windows PE created by MDT 2012 doesn’t have the proper driver.
You may get error like:
The following networking device did not have a driver installed.
The solution for is as follow:
- Download the network card drivers from the manufacture site (in most cases this driver is an EXE file which you should extract to a directory).
- Go to the MDT 2012 console < open the “Deployment share” you created.
- Right click “out of the box driver” < add new drivers < browse for the directory you extracted the drivers to < finish process.
- Now you should see the additional network drivers under “out of the box driver”.
- Right click your “Deployment share” < choose “update deployment share” – this will recreate the bootable ISO for booting your computer with appropriate network drivers this time.
Deploy windows and office with MDT 2010 is the quickest, easiest and protected way to deploy automated install of windows 7 or windows 8 workstations with office 2003, office 2007 or office 2010 applications for entire organization.
Microsoft Deployment toolkit is a program that can be install on windows workstation or server. During writing this article the updated version is Microsoft Deployment toolkit 2010 update 1. In order to deploy windows and office with MDT 2010 there are some prerequisites we should install first to allow clean and fast working with Microsoft Deployment toolkit:
- .Net framework version 2.0 service pack 2 or older (if installing Microsoft Deployment toolkit on server this is a server role needed to be add to server).
- Windows automated installation for windows 7.
- Windows 7 or windows 8 operation system files (with available MAK or KMS serial numbers for activation).
- Office 2003 or office 2007 or office 2010 files (again with appropriate serial key).
Be sure to have a spare logical or physical drive to work in for that matter.
We’ll split the procedure to few sub procedures to make life easier.
Prepare MDT 2010 installation files and prerequisites:
- Install software below from section 1-4.
- Create on spare drive with approximately 50GB free the following folders:Windows OS, Office Application.
- Copy the windows 7 or windows 8 files to “Windows OS” folder.
- Copy the office application files to “Office Application” folder.
- Open the “Deployment workbench” application < right click “deployment shares” and choose “new deployment share”.
- Name the share, fill in the description, mark the “ask if an image should be captured” and walk through the end of process.
- Check the share availability by clicking the “Start” < run < \\ServerName\Sharename
- Under “deployment shares” < open the Deployment share name you created.
Create operation system files
- Right click “operating systems” < choose the “import operation system” option.
- Choose “full set of source files”.
- Browse to the windows source folder contains the source files you prepared on section 3.
- Select the “move the files to deployment share to make the process faster.
- Finish the process < check on the Windows OS folder to see that all files transferred.
Create application files
- Right click “operating systems” < choose the “applications” option.
- Choose “new application”.
- Fill in publisher, application name and version
- Browse to the Office Application folder contains the source files you prepared on section 4.
- Set the startup command file to “setup.exe”.
- Finish the process < check on the Office Application folder to see that all files transferred.
Create task sequence
- Right click “task sequence” < choose the “new task sequence” option.
- Fill in the task sequence ID, name and comments if you have.
- Leave the template as standard.
- Select the OS < fill in the KMS license key < set admin password for automated task< finish the process.
Update deployment share
- Go to ” deployment share name” you created < right click and choose ” update deployment share”
- Finish the process while make sure all WIM and ISO files created under the spare logical or physical drive \ deployment share name you created.
- Burn the ISO file (bootable) to CD and use it to start stations with automated windows and office install on the network.
nstallation for workstations without network
For those computers excluded from network or have no network card or network port available you should create a separate media which will be larger than the network boot media since it contains all windows and office installations inside.
To deploy windows and office with MDT 2010 to computers with no network access:
- Create a folder under the logical drive (for ex: E:).
- Open the “Deployment workbench” application < right click “deployment shares” and choose “advanced configurations” < right click “Media” < choose “new Media” < name it “WinLocal”
- On “media Path” browse to folder you created on section 1 <finish the process.
- Right click the “WinLocal” < click “Update media content” < the process will copy all media content to local “media” folder on logical drive and create a ISO file that can be burned and use for workstations without network.
You can always change configuration for task sequence, applications and operation systems by right click the item < choose “properties” and change running platform, enable and disable task and edit XML configuration depending on the item.
When Unable to install .net 3.5 on windows 8 even after running the appropriate command using dism.exe to enable net 3.5 and getting the “access denied” error running:
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess
to solve this just Start <run < all programs < accessories < command prompt (right click) < choose “run as administrator” < run the dism.exe command again.
When IE10 unable to download files and comes up with drop down tab indication the error “select list not active in editor mode” :
Remove IE10 from add-remove programs.
Make sure security option marked to “Off” or lower security level.
Vmware Thinapp crash windows 7 starting version 4.5 can cause some problems when creating portable installations for windows 7 64bit using 32 bit software.
Some issues you may consider try when those problem occur:
1.Before build the project try to edit the %systemsystem% directory attributes for IsolatedMode setting to full mode.
2.Open the project file (exe file) in compatibility mode to windows XP.
3.Edit package.ini (before build) so that the wow64=0 line will be marked with no “;”
4.Build the package in Full access mode , if it won’t work with Merged mode
5.Make the package under Windows XP, before the project’s compilation, delete the oleaut32.dll file from %systemsystem%. After the project build, try in under windows 7.
Remote Desktop Services use TCP port 3389 with Remote Desktop Protocol.If for some reason the server was configured
with a different port number, so to change windows RDP port registry key on windows 7:
Some group policies designed to disable “Network connection” feature in control panel.
If the policy was deployed to OU in active directory, it will avoid administrator from viewing this feature.
If from some reason administrator wants to get a static IP, using the command line is a workaround to accomplish this:
1.To display a list of network interfaces,run the following command (Start < Run < type ‘cmd’ < press ‘run’:
netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces
2.Make note or screen capture of the name and unique ID of the network interfaces listed.
3.To change the IP address to a Static IP, use this command line:
netsh interface ipv4 set address name=”<ID\Name>” source=static address=<RequestedStaticIP>
Replace ”<ID\Name>” with the requested network interface ID or name from section 2.
Replace <RequestedStaticIP> with the new IP address.
Replace <Subnetmask> with the appropiate subnet mask for this IP.
Replace <Defaultgateway> with the default gateway.
When using the same network as IP scope that was used with DHCP, just copy the <Subnetmask> and <Defaultgateway>
When using an IP address from DHCP scope, make sure to exclude this IP address in DHCP server first.
4.For each Static DNS configuration entry, use this in command line:
netsh interface ipv4 add dnsserver name=”<ID\Name>” address=<DnsServerIP>index=1
add dnsservers “local area connection” 10.10.1.83 (Which is DNS IP) index=2
5.Check Configurations using the command:
changing computer name from command line is much needed when group policy restrict admin user from changing computer name in GUI using “computer properties”,
windows 2008 and windows 7 allows to change the computer name from command line as follow:
1. Go to Start < Go to Run < type “cmd” < press “run”.
2. On command line type ‘hostname’.
3. copy the output you got to notepad or paper. This is your windows default computer or server name.
4. On command line type the following text:
namenetdom renamecomputer <hostname> /newname:<New Computer Name>
while under the <hostname> you should type the output from section 3.
windows 2008 and windows 7 allows to change the administrator password from command line.
To Change administrator password from command line
1. Go to Start < Go to Run < type “cmd” < press “run”.
2. On command line type the following text:
Net user administrator *
3. Type requested password twice and that’s it.
Windows system state can be backed up with two major options: with system protected files or without system protected files.
To backup windows system state with system protected files use this method:
1.Start backup utility (Start < Run < type “NtBackup”).
2.Use the “wizard mode” to start the backup.
3.On the Welcome to the Backup or Restore Wizard < click “next”.
4.Choose Back up files and settings < click “next”.
5.Click the “Let me choose what to back up” < click “next”.
6.In “items to backup” < open “my computer” < check the “system state” box < click “next”.
7.Choose a BKF file name for the backup session < click “next”.
8.Click “advanced” < make sure “Type of Backup” as “Normal”.
9.Recommended to use the “Verify data after backup” checkbox <click “next” all the way.
10.Click “finish” to start backup.
To backup system state without system protected files use this method:
1.On the “Welcome to the Backup or Restore Wizard ” < shoose “Advanced Mode” < click “Backup”.
2.Select “System State” < choose the file backup name under “Backup media or file name”.
3.click “Start Backup” < click “Advanced” < uncheck the “Automatically back up System Protected Files with the System State”
4.click “Start Backup”.